I will admit that when it came time to make a list of why girls should watch the NBA, I had a really hard time. But that’s because I adore basketball and don’t really understand why girls–or guys—wouldn’t watch it! But after careful collaboration with my trusted confidantes (thanks Dad, Mark & Gina!) we came up with a list that will turn the NBA on TNT into Must See TV!
1. Seriously Rich Guys. The NBA boasts the highest professional sports salaries. The average is about $5 million. That’s just the average! Kevin Garnett is making $24 million and Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, Kobe Bryant and Shaq are all pulling in over $20 million salaries. Per year. And that’s before endorsements which draw in tens of millions also. Just to shoot a ball in a hoop. If nothing else, learn the sport so you will be b’ball savvy when husband hunting these money makers!
2. Eva Longoria totally supports the NBA. She married Tony Parker (yum!) of the San Antonio Spurs. He’s also French! Ooh La La! And if it’s good enough for her, it’s good enough for us!
3. The NBA Body: Quite possibly the best in pro sports. Tall, toned, lean, rock hard…..sorry, I think I just drooled on myself there.
3a. The Jersey’s are designed to show off that body: They are sleeveless so you can see every inch of those rippling arm muscles….drool again.
3b. Tony Parker, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James are all prime examples of that perfect body. And unlike a lot of the NBA stars, you don’t have to mentally cut off their heads to think they are hot!
4. There is nothing hotter than watching a guy make a basket, especially a 3-pointer. Okay this may be my personal belief, but I don’t care, it’s such a turn on. Gina, on the other hand, prefers guys who drive to the basket and dunk. Either way, it’s hot!
5. The Players all have a major shoe addiction. It’s not enough for players to just own hundreds of sneakers. Their addiction is so strong they have to make and customize their own shoe lines for Nike and Adidas. Michael Jordan kicked off the trend in 1985 with the launch of Air Jordans. You have to check out Ben Gordon’s video of his sneaker collection; it may even beat SJP’s closet of Manolo’s. Ben Gordon’s Shoes
6. Kyle Korver looks like Ashton Kutcher! So at least tune in to the Utah Jazz games!
7. Non-stop Action: There are no long stretches of nothingness. There are always people running up and down the court to watch.
8. Inside the NBA’s Charles Barkley is a pompous prick, therefore really funny. Barkley is a pro player turned announcer. I hated him as a player–he is known as one of the most controversial, opinionated, outspoken, arrogant asses in the history of the sport. But somehow, that really works as as an announcer! He says what’s on his mind and its colored with his Alabama accent and strange sayings. It’s hysterical. And his T-Mobile “you are not in my five” became legendary when spoofed on Frank Tv. You Are Outta My Five.
9. MAJOR celebrity spotting. Celebs LOVE this sport and its a rare night that the front row isn’t hosting some A-listers. Here’s a quick list of top NBA fans to help you decide which team is right for you!
- Jack Nicholson: LA Lakers. He is always right there, dark glasses on, questioning every referee call and loving his team.
- Leo DiCarprio: Also the Lakers
- Spike Lee & Chris Rock: NY Knicks
- Eva Longoria: Cheering on her hubby on the San Antonio Spurs
- Jay-Z: NJ Nets–he is also part owner of the team
- Billy Crystal: LA Clippers
- Eddie Vedder: Chicago Bulls
- Anna Kournakova & Enrique Iglesias: Miami Heat
- Kid Rock: Detroit Pistons
- Usher: Cleveland Caveliers
- Nelly: Charlotte Bobcats, also an ownner
Runner up Reasons:
–They have Big Feet!
–Nathan & Lucas Scott of One Tree Hill said so. And who wants to go against what those two hotties want?