It‚Äôs the biggest party day of the year for the biggest football game of the year! This is not the time to just open a bag of chips and call it a party! The Super Bowl is all about the snacks! You can‚Äôt throw an amazing Big Game Party without the perfect Game Day Menu! (And of course, the perfect Game Day Outfit!)
This year’s Super Bowl features the New York Giants and the New England Patriots. Both teams come from areas rich with regional food staples making game day truly delicious!
New England Patriots Super Bowl XLVI Big Game Party Menu
- SUPER BOWL SNACK: Brady’s Bunch of Munch & Crunch
- PREGAME: The Hot Tommy & The Cranberry Almond Kicker
- 1st QUARTER: New England Patriots Lobstah Roll Dip & Mini Grinders
- 2nd QUARTER: New England Patriots Wicked Pissah Wings
- HALFTIME:¬† New England Patriots¬† BEST BURGER EVER!
- 3rd QUARTER: New England Patriots Clam Chowdah-Chowdah (and Clam Chili!)
- 4th QUARTER: New England Patriots Indian Pudding & Grape Nut Custard & Boston Cream Pie
¬†THE SUPERBOWL SNACK
You gotta have a super bowl of something snacky or it’s not a party! And the best kind of snack food: something sweet AND salty! Take some popcorn and cover it in white chocolate and you have utter decadence. Throw in some cranberry, the regional staple fruit of Cape Cod and all things New England and you have a very Patriotic snack!
- 10 cups lightly salted already popped popcorn
- 2 cups semi-sweet real chocolate chips (12 ounce bag) ‚ÄĒor¬† even better, white chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- Spread popcorn out on a large baking sheet in one layer Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 of the dried cranberries.
- Melt the chocolate chips by either the stovetop or microwave.
- Once chocolate is fully melted, pour chocolate over popcorn and cranberries.¬† Sprinkle remaining 1/2 of dried cranberries on the warm chocolate and popcorn. Let cool and chocolate will harden.
Forget a Hot Toddy, I want a Hot Tommy! In case you don‚Äôt know, a Hot Toddy is a traditional hot whiskey or brandy drink brewed with tea and lemon and honey. Usually used for a cure for a cold or flu. But over the years it‚Äôs turned into a great holiday warm-me-up beverage. This version features New England‚Äôs favorite flavor of the season: cranberries
- 4 tangerines
- 1/2 cup whole cloves
- 3 quarts 100% unsweetened cranberry juice (if unavailable, use cranberry juice cocktail and omit the sugar)
- 2 cups sugar, or to taste
- 3 cups amber Rum
- Cut tangerines into 1/4-inch-thick round slices and remove seeds. Stud rind of each tangerine round with 4 or 5 cloves.
- In a large saucepan simmer cranberry juice, tangerine rounds, and sugar, 5 minutes.
- Stir in rum and stir in rum and serve in mugs or heat proof glasses.
- Garnish with tangerine and cinnamin stick, for extra kick.
Another fun version of this recipe done with tea:
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3/4 glass cranberry brewed tea
- 2 shots brandy
- 1 slice lemon
Brew tea and fill a tall glass 3/4 full. Mix in honey. Mix in brandy shots. Add lemon slice and enjoy.
- 2 cups cranberry juice cocktail
- 1 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup amaretto
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice*
- Ice cubes
- Clementines, peeled, separated into segments (optional)
- * Mix cranberry juice, vodka, amaretto, and orange juice in pitcher. Let chill for a little while to blend flavors. Add vodka. Shake it up, serve!
Lobstah Roll Dip & Mini-Grinders
You can’t go to New England without tasting a succulent lobstah roll! Fresh and juicy plump lobster meat smothered in yummy goodness in a roll….yum-o! For game day, turn the roll, into a dip! Serve it in hot dog buns for fun!
- 2 cups cooked lobster, chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Combine first seven ingredients in a bowl, stirring well. Top with parsley or cilantro if desired. Serve win hot dog buns for fun!
Never been to the good ole northeast? Then you are probably wondering what the heck a grinder is. “Grinder” is New England for a baked (not toasted!) sub sandwich, or hoagie. You could make or order a big tray of sandwiches but minis and sliders are so popular right now that having a mini-grinder station would be even better!
Want to make it even more New England? Serve Cabinets…the slang for frappe milkshakes!
So I‚Äôm not going to give you a recipe for this because that would just be silly. All you do is get a tray of deli meats, some mini buns or bread and some fun garnishes like pickels, olives, tomatoes, onions and lettuce. And of course, the condiments like mayo, mustard, etc. I recommend whipping up a unique ‚Äúspecial sauce‚ÄĚ of your own too like a spicy honey mustard or horseradish mayo! Feel free to bake, toast or go plain!
Wicked Pissah Wings
In case you didn’t know, the New England Patriots (and the Red Sox and the Bruins) are Wicked Pissah! Or as the rest of the world would say, Really Awesome!¬† And these wings are Wicked Pissah too with cranberries and smokey grill flavor!
- 18 Chicken Wings
- 1 can Jellied Cranberry Sauce (fresh sauce is even better!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons packed Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Prepared Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
¬†***I like to make extra sauce to smother my wings with for after they come off the grill as well! Just make sure to separate the batches and not put raw chicken in the uncooked sauce!
1. Place chicken wings in a mixing bowl.¬† In medium saucepan, combine cranberry sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Stirring constantly over low heat until smooth. Allow sauce to cool.
Pour over chicken wings, cover and refrigerate to marinate for at least an hour.¬† Remove chicken from marinade and grill directly over medium heat, until chicken is cooked through. (They can be baked also but the grill really sears in that smokey taste) Smother in rest of sauce for sticky goodness
I found this burger recipe called ‚ÄúThe Best Burger Recipe Ever‚ÄĚ and I thought that it would be the perfect burger for the Patriots since many consider them to be the best NFL team ever‚Ä¶.. (I know, cocky words. But Pats fans are kinda like Yankees fans, they don‚Äôt just think they are the best, they know they are the best) But beyond the boastful claim, this burger also features Sam Adams beer, a New England tradition for years.
Another great non-beef option is the New England Turkey Burger from Rachel Ray. Plus its smothered in cranberry sauce!
Best Burger Ever ingredients
- 1lb of Ground Beef¬† (Must be PRIME Grade A)¬† The quality of the beef could be the most important factor.¬† Spend the money, you will not regret it.
- 1¬†minced onion (I like the pieces to be a little thicker)
- 2 teaspoons of garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of tabasco sauce
- 1 quick¬†pour of¬† Sam Adams Beer
- 2¬†tablespoons of Honey Mustard
- 2 egg yolkes
- dash of salt and pepper
Mix all the ingredients up with your hands.¬† Shape into thick large oval burgers.¬† Cook on Grill until temperature reaches medium.¬† Top with Cheddar cheese and melt briefly
Normally third quarter and football parties are all about CHILI! But this year’s Super Bowl features an epic battle off the field as well. It’s Super Chowdah Bowl XLVI: Manhattan vs. New England!
I’m a born and raised New Yorker but I gotta say, New England wins every time for me in the chowdah wars. Nothing like a thick, hearty and creamy based soup to warm you up and enhance the flavor of yummy clams!
- ¬†¬†¬† 1/2 pound bacon, medium dice, rendered until crispy
- ¬†¬†¬† 1 cup chopped leeks (about 1 pound)
- ¬†¬†¬† 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- ¬†¬†¬† 1/2 cup chopped celery
- ¬†¬†¬† 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- ¬†¬†¬† 3 bay leaves
- ¬†¬†¬† 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¬†¬†¬† 1/2 cup flour
- ¬†¬†¬† 1 pound white potatoes, peeled and medium diced
- ¬†¬†¬† 4 cups clam juice
- ¬†¬†¬† 2 cups heavy cream
- ¬†¬†¬† 2 pounds little neck clams, shucked, chopped
- ¬†¬†¬† 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- ¬†¬†¬† Salt and pepper
Use a heavy stock pot, over medium-high heat, render the bacon, until crispy, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the leeks, onions, celery, and carrots & saute about 2 minutes until just wilting.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stir in the clam juice.
- Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer.Cook until potatoes are tender (12-15 minutes)
- Add the cream and bring up to simmer. Add the clams and simmer for 2 minutes.
Indian Pudding and Grape Nuts Pudding
I have two regional favorite recipes to share with you for New England, both of which I grew up on‚Äďat least every summer when we would head to Cape Cod. They are Indian Pudding and Grape Nuts Pudding. Yes, Grape Nuts like the cereal. My mother would be thrilled that I‚Äôm spreading those dishes on to you because loved both of them! And both recipes are very seasonal right now. Indian Pudding is hot, filling and has all the flavors of the season like nutmeg, molasses and cinnamon. And Grape Nuts Pudding is like a thick yummy custard!
Another fun option would be to go with a Boston Cream Pie, New England’s answer to New York’s famous cheesecake!
What are YOU making for Game Day? Do you have a great New England Patriots inspired recipe you want to share? Leave a comment below or on Facebook! We’d love to hear from you!
Don’t forget to check out the complete Tailgating Guide which is filled with other football and NFL Team Inspired Recipes!
- Super Chili Recipes
- NFL Team Inspired burger recipes
- Unique Chicken wing recipes
- football party dips,
- Sliders and mini-burger recipes
- NFL Team Inspired Cocktail recipes