Can you believe it’s already Week 5 in the NFL? The season is in full swing, and fall has arrived in full force! There is even a slight chill in air here in Southwest Florida (by slight chill I mean, low of like 62 which if course prompts people to wear turtlenecks and fleeces. While I am still in sundresses).
How are you doing with your picks? Leave me a comment below or send me a tweet on Twitter and let me know! Last week helped me big time. Last week actually put me in fairly decent shape! For the season I’m up to 34 good guesses and 28 wrong ones! Which is on par with the pros! Well, okay, really its 32-30 but last week I wanted Jacksonville and Baltimore to win, I just didn’t think they would. So I could those as wins for me!
my-football-picks. Nothing really stands out as a key matchup and I’m having a hard time even picking a Game of the Week. ESPN says this is because:
The NFL has only 96 divisional games to spread over 17 weeks, we’ve hit the soft spot in the schedule for divisional games. There were a robust 25 during the first four weeks. Only nine are scheduled between Week 5 and Week 8.
They also explained
For the most part, the NFL has a balanced schedule in which divisional teams play 14 common opponents. The two other games — called non-common matchups — are determined by where teams finished the previous year. This weekend, five of the 32 non-common games are scheduled -ESPN Week 5 Matchups
I don’t know what all that means, I just know there are a lot of weird matchups this weekend like St Louis-Detroit and Jacksonville-Buffalo! Plus, three of the powerhouses (Patriots, New England and Pittsburgh—and Seattle too) have the week off. Regardless, it’s going to be another great week of football!
This is a great week to sign up at the Stiletto Sports Fantasy Pick ‘Em League! What are you waiting for? It’s easy and FUN! You can sign up at any point in the season and play whenever you want. There will even be prizes at the end of the season! It’s easy:
- Sign up on Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Leagues.
- The Group Number is #73788 (Name is Stiletto Sports Pick ‘Em)
- Password is: gojets (sorry to all the Jets haters!)
- Pick which team you want to win. That’s it!
The 1:00 Games
- Jacksonville Jaguars (2-2) vs Buffalo Bills (0-4): Jaguars. First off, they beat the Peyton Manning. Er, I mean, the Colts. The last second, game winning, 59-yard field goal from Josh Scobee was simply breathtaking, awe-inspiring and sheer awesomeness! It was the best moment of my Sunday, especially since I was in the living room of a guy who likes to proclaim, multiple times throughout the day at random, “Peyton Manning is the Greatest of All Time!” Perhaps. But Josh Scobee has now become the greatest kicker for Jacksonville of all time…. Anyway, the Jags are gonna be flying high going into upstate NY. And Buffalo, um, sucks. Though in their credit, they did stomp on the Colts last season 30-7 (we just won’t mention it was Week 17 and the whole starting line including Peyton played like a minute of that game to save themselves for the playoffs)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-1) vs. Cincinnati Bengals (2-2). Tampa Bay Baby! I still feel icky for picking the Reality Television Team for the last two weeks. Glad to not have to do it again. The Bucs are coming off a nice week off and they want to prove they are for real and not just going to pull in the a few wins and go MIA all season. (For the record, in my official Pick Em League picks I did go with the Bengals because um, well, Tampa just can’t win this. Bengals got embarrassed last week–which is pretty amazing since neither the T.O Show nor Ultimate Catch seem to embarrass them….so look out)
- Atlanta Falcons (3-1) s. Cleveland Browns (1-3) Matt Bryant. I mean Atlanta Atlanta almost lost to the freaking 49ers last week. Matt Bryant, once again, saved the day with a field goal with 2 seconds left. It won’t be that easy though. The Browns actually beat the Reality Television Team last week, which I don’t think a lot of us expected at all!
- St. Louis Rams (2-2) vs. Detroit Lions (0-4) I am so sorry Detroit, but I’m going with Sam and the Rams! Please please please do not let Detroit’s win of the season come against St Louis! I would be very sad! I’m actually really growing to like Detroit. And I think they are a whole lot better than the Bills! Yes they are 0-4 but those losses have not been blowouts. Week 2: lost by only 3 to Philly and last week only lost by 2 to Green Bay. And don’t get me started on Week 1 against Chicago. I still think that was a win for Detroit. Oh. Wait, I digressed. I’m not for Detroit this week. Crap. I hate when two teams I like play each other. But I’m definitely for Sam. After starting a little rough, the Sam Bradford Era looks like it’s officially underway and the team looked real good against Washington and Seattle.
- Kansas City Chiefs (3-0) vs. Indianapolis Colts (2-2) Sigh. Colts. It pains me to admit that. I would really love for Kansas City to win. I love the way the team has come together this season and I like them being undefeated. But Peyton is gonna be PISSED after last week. He won’t let that embarassment happen again, even if it means he has to play every position on the field! (So I’ll pick the Colts reluctantly but I want the Chiefs to win!)
- Green Bay Packers (3-1) vs. Washington Redskins (2-2) Redskins. I’m so Team McNabb right now! Loved that he won in Philly (thought it sucked that Vick went down early. And Donovan’s QB rating for the game sucked, but didn’t reflect all he did in that game) and I’d like him to walk allllll over Green Bay. It’s definitely not my favorite Bay.
- Chicago Bears (3-1) vs. Carolina Panthers (0-4) Da Bears Though after there disappointing loss to the Giants last week they don’t deserve to be picked. Not to mention Carolina’s shockingly good performance against the reigning champ Saints. They are dying to not be undefeated at losing!
- Denver Broncos (2-2) vs. Baltimore Ravens (3-1) Hmm… again two teams I like against each other. Okay Joe Flacco, don’t disappoint me: Ravens. I am very happy with the Ravens taking down the Steelers last week so they get a free pick this week.
- NY Giants (2-2) vs Houston Texans (3-1) Houston. Still not really sure how they lost to the Cowboys two weeks ago —and how Oakland managed to bully them all last week—but I’m going to give them another shot. I think the Giants win over Chicago was some weird glitch. And I have no idea where this weird hatred for the Giants has come from? Maybe because I offiically pledged my love to the Jets?
- New Orleans Saints (3-1) vs Arizona Cardinals (2-2) Cardinals. For two reasons. 1. Kurt Warner will be there. They are actually doing a raffle to meet him but unfortunately I live like 6 states away and am already working this weekend so I couldn’t enter. Confession time: I know I am secretly thinking that “Kurt Being There” means: Kurt is putting on a Cards uniform, kicking Derek Anderson in the shins and taking the field with Larry Fitzgerald again. Hey, it could happen! 2. If #1 doesn’t play out the way I envision, I really want Max Hall, the Cards backup, undrafted rookie to have a rockin’ game cuz Coach Ken Wisenhut is so pissed at Derek Anderson for the horrendous game last week that the little rookie it taking his place in this game! Woot! Woot!
- San Diego Chargers (2-2) vs Oakland Raiders (1-3) Oakland. Chargers. The Raiders are scrappy. They refused to let Houston run away with the game. And they held the Texans scoreless in the 4th quarter (well, okay, they scored a TD 6 seconds into the quarter but after that!) And San Diego irritates me. Although I love that they beat the crap out of Arizona last week. Not sure how Derek still has his job… oh wait, he doesn’t. But after reading some analysis, they convinced me to go San Diego. The Chargers have beaten the Raiders like 13 times in a row or something. And the Raiders are plagued with injuries.
- Tennessee Titans (2-2) vs Dallas Cowboys (1-2) Cowboys. They just had a nice week off to reflect on their huge win over Houston. I think they are gonna want more wins.
SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
Philadelphia Eagles (2-2) vs. San Francisco 49ers (0-4) Oy! 49ers…….I know it sounds like a sucker bet but the Eagles are without Michael Vick and starting Kyle Kolb again. Plus they are without a cornerback and a wide receiver and their running back is playing with a broken rib. When you have 2 key offensive players out and one hobbling around the field…… Maybe this can be San Fran’s first win!
MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
Minnesota Vikings (1-2) vs.NY Jets (3-1) Okay everyone say it with me! J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS! Who cares if the Vikings now have Randy Moss (besides the Patriots. That’s gotta suck for them)? Doesn’t mean Minnesota will suddenly be good and the Jets will suddenly suck. Not gonna happen! Let’s Hear it for NEW YORK!