How’s the menu planning for your Super Bowl/football party coming along? Over the last few weeks I’ve given you NFL Team Inspired Cocktails, Chicken Wing Recipes, yummy football party dips, NFL Burgers, and even mini-slider recipes.
But you can’t have a football party without….CHILI! I was at @extremejohn’s house almost every Sunday in the fall, and the 4 out of 19 weeks I wasn’t there, I went through serious chili withdrawal! Once the Super Bowl is over, I’m thinking about starting Baseball Chili Night or Thursday NBA Chili Night because I don’t think I can make it until September without Football Chili!!!!!
This is broken down into:
- Vegetarian Chili Recipes
- Regional Chili Recipes
- Unique Chili Recipes
- Hearty Meat Chili Recipes
- Chicken Chili Recipes
But they are not all mutually exclusive. Some veggie ones are unique. Some unique are also regional….. Just enjoy them all!
1. Southwest Black Bean Chili (Vegetarian) Get the Recipe! This is one meatless chili you don’t want to run screaming from! This chili is bursting with so much flavor that you won’t even miss the meat! The southwestern spices, black beans and roasted corn melt in your mouth!
2. Spicy Three Bean Chili (Vegetarian) Get the Recipe! This spicy three-bean vegetable chili recipe is so tasty and satisfying, you’ll forget it’s vegetarian. You can use whatever combination of beans you like, but the three varieties: black, pinto and red kidney go perfect together. The recipe calls for jalapenos so you can adjust the heat to your liking!
3. Sweet Potato, Mushroom & Black Bean Chili (Vegetarian) Get the Recipe This was one of the most unique recipes I have ever head of! Sweet Potatoes and mushrooms in a chili!??! The recipe is actually a northwest specialty but is full of southwest flair! Ancho chili powder, jalapenos, cumin, paprika and even hints of cinnamon to enhance the flavor of the potatoes!
4. Cincinatti Chili Get the Recipe! Haven’t heard of Cincinatti Chili? Well you are in for a special treat! Cincinatti Style chili is usually a little soupier than standard chili and it layered over pasta…. like an Italian meat sauce! Then the whole thing is smothered in cheddar cheese! YUM!
I also found Cincinatti Chili Skyline Style recipe which is a slightly different. There is also a Cincinatti Skyline Chili Ordering Code:
1-way: just the chili
2-way: chili served over spaghetti
3-way: chili, spaghetti, and grated Cheddar cheese
4-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, and onions
5-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, onions, and beans
All “ways” are served with oyster crackers.
5. Texas Chili with Rice and Pineapple Get the Recipe! Texas chili usually has great big chunks of meat in it. Afterall, it is Texas, land of Big Meat! This recipe has the big chunks of meat but also kicks it up a notch with big chunks of pineapple added to it! And it’s all served over rice to help the scorching heat of the chilies! Talk about a big bowl of happy!
6. Maui Chili Get the Recipe! What would you expect from a Hawaiian Chili? Pineapple of course! Pineapple and ginger take this chili to a whole new place…. like a little island in the South Pacific perhaps? The story behind the chili is worth reading too.
7. Spicy Pineapple Pork Chili Get the Recipe! Just like the Texas and the Maui chili, Pineapple takes center stage in this chili dish also! But this chili is made with spicy pork and white beans instead of the traditional beef and red beans.
8. Pumpkin Chili Get the Recipe! This one is mild and uses ground beef. But I also found a delicious Pumpkin Chicken Chili Mexicana which is spicy! I first discovered pumpkin chili back in October when I carved up my jack 0’latern and roasted my pumpkin in the oven. Then I had about 200 pounds of cooked pumpkin to experiment with. The only thing I can really say is that you have to try it! Pumpkin changes the whole taste sensation in your mouth and will give you a whole new impression of chili!
9. Hungarian Chili with Polenta Get the Recipe! Hungarian Chili is typically called Goulash and is meat and sauce dish served over pasta. At least that’s how my mom made it! And my Hungarian next door neighbor Korrinna makes it! But this recipe is totally different! The chunks of meat are served in a lush gravy over polenta, a cornmeal based dumpling thingy. Rachel Ray also topped this dish with smoked gouda! YUM!
10. Seafood Chili Blanco Get the Recipe! How I never thought to make a seafood chili on my own is beyond me! It combines all of my favorite things! This recipe comes from Whole Foods Market (don’t have a Whole Foods? You gotta take a day to find one sometime! It’s a fun “wander around aimlessly for hours” kind of place!): A unique and delicious twist on the standard white bean chili, this recipe combines shrimp, scallops and mahi-mahi with sautéed garlic, green and red peppers, jalapeños and white cannellini beans for a hearty, protein packed chili. Chipotle chilies add a smoky depth to the beer- and chicken-based broth without bringing too much spice.
11. Kahlua Chili Get the Recipe! This recipe comes from my roommate the Ohio State Football lover. His mom has always made chili with kahlua and he’s been raving about it for months. And with good reason! It’s awesome! The coffee flavored liquor makes the chili rich and creamy. And very decadent! It’s almost like a dessert chili!
12. Coffee and Beer Powered Chili Get the Recipe! How Mike from Daily Shot of Coffee hasn’t found this recipe is beyond me! It combines three of his favorite things: Coffee, beer and chili! If it was called Yankees Coffee Beer Chili I think he would consider himself in heaven! It boasts itsself as being “the best chili you will ever taste” I’m not sure about all that, I mean, I’ve had some really oustanding chilis but this one sure sounds to-die-for! Besides the dark beer and coffee, it also has chili sauce, hot peppers and cocoa!
13. Chocolate Sausage Chili Get the Recipe! Bacon, sausage Italian seasonings, hickory smoke bbq sauce, and….chocolate! I know, it sounds disgusting. But it’s not! It’s a flavor packed bowl of yummy! The intricate layering of flavors is like something you would see on Top Chef!
14. Habanero Chili with potatoes: Get the Recipe! This is for heat seekers only! Trust me, I had one heck of a Habanero incident last year when I accidentally purchased 10 for $1 at a local farm stand and figured they were regular hot pepper. Not so much. They were like little burning balls of fire. And my fingers were on fire for days, even after soaking them in straight bleach. So, make this at your own risk! Make sure you wear gloves! It’s called “3 beer Chili—cuz it takes 3 beers before you can get this in your gut” and they ain’t lying! The recipe also calls for jalapenos! At least there are big chunks of potatoes to cut the heat!
15. 3 Bean 3 Meat Guinness Chili Get the Recipe! Stew beef, ground chuck and link sausage get nice and drunk on some Guiness before going into this chili!
16. Spicy Buffalo Chili Get the Recipe! This spicy chili recipe uses buffalo, or bison meat, instead of the usual ground beef. Buffalo chili is lower in fat and calories than a beef chili since buffalo are a leaner animal. Can’t get a buffalo? Try venison instead! My brother makes awesome venison chili every winter! What does it taste like? Gamey! Always makes me laugh when I hear someone say it’s “gamey.” No one ever elaborates what that means. You just know it doesn’t taste like chicken!
17. White Chicken Chili Get the Recipe! This is actually one of my own recipes that I have been using for years that I totally love! I throw everything into the crock pot and let my chicken soak up all the spices under the chicken falls apart in my fingers. Then I shred it up and throw it back in the pot with some corn until it all melds together. Top it with some shredded cheese and sour cream. And yes, those are my pretty flower bowls in the picture!
18. Tequilla Lime Chicken Chili Get the Recipe! I may not be able to stomach a straight shot of tequila anymore, but I never say no to a Margarita full of tequila and lime! The distinctive flavor of Mexican tequila, along with a splash of fresh lime juice, adds lively, authentic flavor to a low-fat chili recipe featuring ground chicken breast.
19. Buffalo Chicken Wing Chili Get the Recipe! In the other recipe guides I’ve already given you a Buffalo Wing Recipe, Buffalo Wing Dip Recipe, Buffalo Chicken Mini Slider and now……. Buffalo Chicken Wing Chili! It’s like capturing BDubbz (Buffalo Wild Wings….) in a rich, creamy bowl! My favorite part are the blue cheese smothered chips to dunk with! This is another Rachel Ray recipe…. YUM-O!